In college, I lived in Vienna one summer and fell in love. On the cruise, we docked in Vienna on the second day.
We only had one full day here but packed it in doing THIS:
- Enjoying original sacher torte at Cafe Sacher (my favorite dessert on Planet Earth)
- Seeing fabulous new rooms and suites at Hotel Sacher
- A fantastic tour at the Spanish Riding School
- Cafe hopping from my favorite (Cafe Sperl, where I started "The Reluctant Empress," considered to be the definitive biography on Empress Sisi) to other classics (Cafe Central, Cafe Landtmann)
- Shopping at Julius Meinl
- Viennese-style tapas at Zum Schwarzeen Kameel
- Seeing what's new in the 7th district behind the MuseumsQuartier
- Strolling the Naschmarkt
- Dinner at Figlmuller, known for the best and biggest wiener schnitzel
- Doing some quick tours of other hotels.
The Christkindlmarkt at the striking Vienna Rathaus (funny name but means 'City Hall' in German) had just opened so we got to meander through the huts. I loved every minute of being back in Vienna and can't wait to return.