We're all in a mode of 2011 reflection right now. My priorities also include Trader Joe's Candy Cane Joe-Joe's and pretend shopping for a dog on animal shelter sites (kills me! yet play shopping may soon become real). But I'm also making lists of goals and To Do's, including spending more time in England, Scotland & France this year, going to Africa, and continuing to build my writing portfolio and work with GOOD PEOPLE.
Here are my favorite posts of the past year, on my journey of chronicling hotels, travel and New York City.
If you're not familiar with my Type A list of 2,600+ hotels I want to visit around the world, click here for "Yes, I'm a Hotel Nut"
I'm one of Christopher Elliott's 12 Travel Blogs to Read in 2012.
NEW YORK CITY:
A day in Red Hook, Brooklyn, which is changing every day
Spending the day with NYC chocolate icon Jacques Torres
Taking America's Oldest Bike Path to Coney Island
The Tiffany Suite at the St. Regis Hotel
The River Cafe made my bad day excellent
The Holiday Train Show at the New York Botanical Garden
- The most perfect start-to-finish week of the year was at Four Seasons Resort in Maui in August
- I'm still documenting this magical journey, but it started out right at the Fairmont Peace Hotel in Shanghai
- Each hotel was better than the next, but seeing the Taj Mahal (especially from the Oberoi Tajvilas rooms) was beyond anything I'd expected
- Of every wonderful day I've spent out here, my birthday trip was the best
- Two magical days in Moscow
- I will always remember the unlike-any-other Amman skyline from my hotel room. Plus, my NatGeo post on One Perfect Day in Amman.
- Skiing in Whistler and bonding like family with the group I traveled with.
- The day after Thanksgiving was a perfect fall day in Providence & ended with dinner at the famous Al Forno.
- The Arizona Biltmore resort is as legendary to the state as the cactus
- I also dream of cappuccinos by the creek at L'Auberge de Sedona
- A 21st birthday celebration for my brother at the best city hotel plus baseball, hot dogs, & bars
- I loved researching this post for Travel + Leisure's blog, on Valencia's best paella
- The best sunset in L.A. is at Shutters on the Beach, glass of wine in hand
- Over-the-top mock-Arabian fantasy at the Madinat Jumeirah
- My National Geographic Intelligent Travel interview with Travel Channel's Samantha Brown
- My interview with best-selling author Adriana Trigiani, who loves NYC as much as I do
- My interview with Bachelorette Trista Sutter on her favorite hotels
- My Travel + Leisure post on Portsmouth, New Hampshire, which has received almost 2,400 Facebook "likes" on their site (a record!).